Certified Building Analysts
BPI is a national standards development organization for residential energy efficiency and weatherization retrofit work. As an independent, not-for-profit organization, BPI brings together leading building science experts from across North America to develop our standards using a consensus-based methodology.
Using an open, transparent, consensus-based process built on sound building science, they develop the standards and professional certifications for individuals, companywide credentials for BPI GoldStar Contractors, home energy rating systems, and quality assurance services that help raise the bar in home performance contracting.
BPI certified professionals are individuals who have been trained, tested, and certified to BPI’s nationally recognized standards to use the house-as-a-system approach to improving the performance of existing homes – an approach proven to reduce annual home utility bills by as much as 20% or more.
Many state, local, and utility energy efficiency programs use the services of BPI certified professionals, because they know they will get quality work with a good return on investment. In fact, the Home Performance with ENERGY STAR program from the Department of Energy (DOE) and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) cites BPI or equivalent for individual certification.
All of MT Weatherization’s building scientists who perform Energy Efficiency Audits are BPI Certified Building Analysts.
Available BPI Certifications
- Building Analyst – Skilled Level – certified to perform whole-home assessments
- Envelope Professional – Skilled Level – certified to quantify performance and prescribe improvements to help tighten the building envelope (shell), stop uncontrolled air leakage and optimize comfort, durability and HV/AC performance
- Advanced Home Energy Professional (HEP) – Advanced Levels: Energy Auditor, Retrofit Installer, Crew Leader, Quality Control Inspector
- Air Leakage Control Installer (RBE-WHALCI) – Entry Level – Certified to implement measures to tighten the building envelope
- Infiltration & Duct Leakage (IDL) – Entry Level – Certified to conduct duct leakage and blower door testes to the ASTEM E1554-07 standard
- Heating – Skilled Level – certified to optimize the installation, operation and maintenance of heating equipment in relation to other building systems, to help save energy and ensure occupant comfort, health and safety
- Air Conditioning and Heat Pump – Skilled Level – certified to understand the role of these systems within the whole home and how to diagnose and correct problems properly to achieve peak performance
- Multifamily – certified in understanding the multi-family building science and the relationship between the building’s various systems and their effect on occupant health, safety and comfort, and the building’s energy efficiency and durability.
- Manufactured Housing – Skilled Level – Certified to apply house-as-a-system fundamentals to the specific needs particular to the various types of housing technologies.